Friday, January 23, 2009

FAQs

Just going to answer some questions quickly ...

How did I do my own custom blog design?
Well ... I got the idea from Rhonna Farrer. Check out this post for her instructions. Some of her following posts answer some related questions. I already understood HTML and have designed websites, but it never really occurred to me to make my own blog design. I really didn't care enough *gasp* and didn't want to spend the time. But, reading that post gave me a quick kick in the pants and I threw something together rather quickly. Maybe I'll do something really fancy when I get some more time :)

Why am I backing up on to CDs instead of DVDs or an external hard drive?

Well, I would if I could!
First of all, I did (and still do) back up on to an external hard drive. We had one, but it died! I was shocked! Plus, because my laptop had a limited amount of disk space, I had deleted things off of my laptop fully expecting to be able to retrieve them from the external hardrive when I wanted them. Well, I was wrong. My husband decided to tell me *after* the problem that you should always back up in two places. Well, I didn't know that. I thought I was doing well by backing up! It makes sense now . . .
So, we bought another external harddrive and I backed up the files I still had and then I set to work backing them up to a second location - CDs. Almost 100 because 98% of my 60 GB of memory on my laptop was used.
Wouldn't it be great to have two external hard drives to back up onto? Well, the next time I have an extra $100 ...
Why not DVDs? Because I don't have DVD burner. My drive reads DVDs, but doesn't write to them. My laptop is 2 years old. I don't know how much it would cost to get a DVD-R drive and what it would take to install it, but my computer tech husband has never acted like it was an option, so I assume it won't be happening anytime soon :)
So, that's why I've spent countless hours and 90 CDs of backup. You have the whole story!


I'm working on a big project right now. I NEED to be done by midnight tonight. Head on over the winkflash.com to find out why ... a photobook with up to 100 pages on sale for $20! Must create 100 pages! I hope to post it for you soon :)

*~*~*

Oh, and I have some really exciting news! I'll let you know when I have more time to write. Big project going on, remember? Hint: It has something to do with the blinkie links in the sidebar.

*~*~*

No comments: